Dover, Del. (Dec. 17, 2017) --- Delaware outscored Delaware State 11-1 to begin overtime in a 68-59 victory over the Hornets in a battle between the state’s two Division I men’s basketball teams in Memorial Hall Sunday evening. The Hens defeated DSU for the third straight season and snapped an overall four-game skid to improve to 5-6 this season, while the Hornets have now lost six in a row to fall to 2-10.

Delaware also improved to 14-4 in the series with Delaware State. This was third overtime contest between the teams and first since the Hornets’ 73-67 victory on Dec. 8, 2012 at UD’s Bob Carpenter Center.

Ryan Allen came off the bench to lead five Delaware players in double-figures with 15 points, highlighted by four three-point field goals (4-8). Ryan Daly added 13 points, while Darian Bryant and Kevin Anderson contributed 12 each, and Eric Carter 11 for the Hens. Anderson also pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds for UD.

Jonathan Walker was the only Delaware State player in double-figures with a game-high 16 points. Walker was 4-for-7 from the field and 7-of-8 at the free throw line. Kavon Waller and Simon Okolue added eight points each for the Hornets. Okolue was 4-for-4 from the field, but limited to just 18 minutes due to foul trouble. He fouled out with 20 seconds left in the second half.

The game featured nine ties and six lead changes

Delaware State trailed by as many as 13 in the first half, but scored the last seven points of the opening frame to cut the deficit to 32-28 at the break.   

The Hens were still in control midway through the second half, opening up a 41-32 lead on a jumper by Bryant with 11:18 showing on the second half clock.

The Hornets answered with a 9-0 run on three three-point field goals, two by Waller, to tie the score. Waller’s second three-pointer tied the game at 41-41 with 9:32 left to play.

Delaware State held its biggest lead of the game, 47-43, on a jumper by Joe Lewis with 5:52 remaining.       

The Hornets led 53-51 when Daly knocked down a three-pointer with 1:52 left in the second half to give the Hens a one-point lead.     

Delaware pulled ahead 55-53 when Carter hit one of two free throws with 20 seconds left in regulation.

On the ensuing possession, DSU’s Pinky Wiley scored on a driving lay-up to tie the game at 55 with eight seconds to go in the second half.

The Hens had the final possession of regulation, but Bryant missed a running jumper that was rebounded by DSU’s Artem Tavakalyan right before the buzzer.

Delaware ran off the first seven points of overtime, and opened up a 62-55 lead on a three-ball by Allen with 2:43 left in the extra session. The Hens led by 10 points twice in overtime.

UD shot 40.3% for the game, hitting 25-of-62 shots from the field, including 9-of-28 from three-point range (32.1%).

Delaware State was 20-for-51 from the floor (39.2%), including just 4-of-16 from beyond the arc (25.0%).

Delaware won the rebound battle 42-33.

The Hornets are next in action on Tuesday (Dec. 19) at Pittsburgh. DSU will also visit Nebraska (Dec. 22) and Penn (Dec. 29) before returning home to face North Carolina Central in the 2017-18 MEAC opener on Jan. 3, 2018.  

Delaware State men's basketball