Hampton, Va. (Feb. 11, 2013) --- Wesley Dunning hit the game-winning shot on a three-pointer with 11 seconds left in the second overtime to give Hampton an 85-84 win over Delaware State at the HU Convocation Center Monday evening.

The Hornets led 84-82 when Amere May missed two free throws with 23 left to play. On the ensuing possession by Hampton, Dunning nailed just his third three-point shot of the season from the right wing to give the Pirates a one-point lead.

Delaware State quickly pushed the ball up court after the Dunning three-pointer but May was called for an offensive foul with three seconds left.

Hampton ran out the remaining time when the Hornets were unable to foul on the final possession.

May (10 points) hit three-point shots on consecutive possessions in the second overtime to give Delaware State a four-point lead. His second three gave the Hornets an 84-80 lead with 36 seconds left to play. He was three-for-three from beyond the arc in the contest.  

The score was 61-61 at the end of regulation and 74-74 after the first overtime. The game featured 14 ties and seven lead changes.

Delaware State trailed 27-25 at the half, and fell behind 46-38 after a three-point play by Hampton's Emmanuel Okoroba with 10:10 left in regulation.

The Hornets outscored the Pirates 16-6 over the next eight minutes, and pulled ahead 54-52 on a driving lay-up by Tahj Tate with 2:28 left in the second half.

Hampton was ahead 61-58 when Ke'Ron missed the second of two free throws with six seconds left in regulation to give the Hornets new life. DSU's Marques Oliver rebounded the ball and passed up court to Casey Walker, who sank a three-point shot with three seconds left to tie the game and force overtime.   

In the first overtime, Hampton held four-point leads on three occasions. The Pirates led 74-71 when May nailed a three-pointer with 12 seconds left to tie the game. Hampton had the final possession of the first overtime but failed to get off a good shot.

A.J. Thomas led five Delaware State players in double figures with his DSU high of 14 points, 12 coming in the second half and overtime. Thomas also had a team-high seven assists. Tate and Walker added 13 points each for the Hornets.

Oliver tallied 11 points and a career-high 16 rebounds, for his second straight double-double. He had 16 points and 14 rebounds vs. Norfolk State in the Hornets' previous outing. Oliver now has 985 points at DSU, while Walker has 973.

Hampton's Du'Vaughn Maxwell led all players with a career-high 29 points. He was 12-for-13 from the field, and was also high man for the Pirates with 10 rebounds.

Delaware State bounced back from a poor shooting first half to shoot 43.9% for the game. The Hornets were 8-for-29 from the field in the first half (27.6%), but 21-for-37 in the second half and overtime (56.8%). DSU was 8-for-11 from the field in the overtime, but just 4-of-10 from the free throw line in the extra sessions.

Delaware State has played four overtime games this season (2-2).     

The Hornets begin a four-game home stand on Saturday (Feb. 16) against Coppin State. Game time is 4:00 p.m. in Memorial Hall.

Delaware State men's basketball